Monday, February 2

It's time...

...for a little more of France. After all, this baby I'm growing is kind of a little bit French.

This is the Pyrenean chapter. It blew me away. I'd go back anytime. I love mountain scenery and, having grown up in Scotland, I tend to love grassy landscapes with dark green trees. The Pyrenees were perfect for me! I used to go walking in the mountains in Scotland as a child and I have this memory of the best feeling being lying on the grass, in the sun, just listening. Everything sounds so muted and peaceful. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love bushwalking in Tassie, but, what with the spikey, scratchy scrub, the leeches, jack jumpers and mud, there aren't really that many opportunities to lie peacefully and comfortably. There were plenty where we went in the Pyrenees.



View from the Col du Tourmalet. Awe-inspiring. So steep. I felt like I was on a pilgrimage and now have even more respect for the riders who slog up and then speed down these slopes. Sam, of course, started scheming to ride it one day. I was totally daunted. I did have a dream to ride the length of the Pyrenees one day. Driving up this vertigo inducing road may have put paid to that. So stuningly beautiful and you could hear the whistles of marmots all over the grassy slopes.



Medieval buildings in Mirepoix. The scene of what may have been my best lunch of the entire month. Cured salmon for entree followed by seven hour roasted lamb. The lamb was so good I can't even remember dessert. Not like me at all.



Vignemale, the highest peak in the French Pyrenees (maybe the Pyrenees even?). We spent a day walking here. Chloe and I stopped in a grassy spot and I lay in the sun while she played on some rocks. Sam went on and I was envious but had to let Chloe out of the backpack for a while.



Stunning clear stream on the track up towards Vignemale. The track leaves from near Cauteret and we did cheat and go up a bit on a chair lift!



Old, unused Hotel at the Cirque du Gavarnie. These cows are so attractive! We also saw Pyrenean ponies, goats, huge eagles and marmots.

PS Sam tells me that is a terrible photo in the last post. Fair enough but it did make me feel better to read all your lovely comments. Thanks so, so much. I actually feel even more excited about the new one since I told you guys!

2 comments:

Fer said...

You summed it up perfectly - awe inspiring!

I have to agree with you about the leeches in Tas, nasty little things!!

Anonymous said...

great read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one hear that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.
[url=http://amazon.reviewazone.com/]Andrea[/url]